The Daily brief: August 17, 2011

Aug. 17, 2011, 8:52 p.m.

GSB Outsourced? | An increasing number of graduate students come from China thanks to its thriving economy, according to a report by the Wall Street Journal. The Graduate School of Business is also seeing an increase in foreign students, at 37% this year, up from 33% last year.

Open Campus | While only 7% of last year’s applicants were invited to attend Stanford this fall, anybody with access to the Internet can attend computer science professor Sebastian Thrun and Google director of research Peter Norvig’s class on Artificial Intelligence. The class runs online and be run in tandem with the official course.

Stem Cells Advance | While stem cells have long promised effective treatments to various organ ailments, one major side effect called teratomas, which are tumors that arise from stem cells that develop into unwanted types of cells, have long been an obstacle to widespread applications. Recent research from Stanford scientists, however, have uncovered a way to remove those cells, paving the way to future successes in stem cell treatments. Read more here.

New Treatments, Old Drugs | A computer program that analyzes gene data and compares them to drugs can now match old drugs to new treatments, according to another team of Stanford researchers. Using the program to compare 100 diseases and 164 generic drugs, the team has yielded approximately 1,000 new potential treatments.

Follow The Daily | FacebookTwitterdaily email digest