The Daily brief: August 15, 2011

Aug. 15, 2011, 7:21 p.m.

MBA Arms Race | Admissions to the nation’s top business programs, including Stanford’s Graduate School of Business, are becoming increasingly like an arms race to stand out from the crowd. Time to schedule that Mt. Everest climb…

Measuring Movement |Electrical engineering professor Krishna Shenoy and his team are using recent developments in brain measurement technologies to better understand the neurological processes behind the planning and execution of a movement. The process, frustratingly imprecise, can mean the difference between beating a world record and having yours shattered. Read more of the story here.

Art of the Book | While many books are readily available online or via e-readers like the Kindle and the Nook, the Art of the Book, harkening back to a time when books were lovingly crafted by hand, remains alive and well in California. Several examples of such presses throughout the state are on display at the Cantor Arts Center’s “Art of the Book” exhibition, which closes at the end of the month.

Aristotle Award | Electrical engineering professor Robert Dutton will receive the Aristotle Award at the Semiconductor Research Corporation’s TECHON conference this September. The award honors research in ideas related to the semiconductor industry and notes Dutton’s outstanding teaching.

Follow The Daily | FacebookTwitterdaily email digest