Matriculation rate stable at 70.5 percent

July 28, 2011, 2:04 a.m.

The undergraduate matriculation rate for the class of 2015 is 70.5 percent–reflecting acceptances from 1,717 of 2,436 admitted students — according to Director of Undergraduate Admission Bob Patterson.

(CAROLINE MARKS/The Stanford Daily)

The number reflects a slight decrease from the last year’s 71.5 percent matriculation rate but a slight jump from 2009’s 69.8 percent. The University also admitted 96 more undergraduate students than it did in 2010, but only 10 more than 2009.

We are very proud to have a strong matriculation rate at Stanford,” Patterson wrote in an email to The Daily. “When students receive their admit letter from Dean Shaw, they generally want to attend. It is our responsibility to present clear, accurate and truthful information to admitted students so that they can make an informed and thoughtful decision.”

According to Patterson, the office was expecting a yield of 70 percent.

The University placed approximately 1,000 students on the wait list this year, 800 of whom accepted their places on the list. Of those, 13 were offered admission and 12 accepted, reflecting a 92 percent matriculation rate for students accepted off the wait list.

Stanford employs a Restrictive Early Action process as well as a Regular Decision cycle. The former group must apply by Nov. 1 and is notified of a decision by Dec. 15, while the latter applies by Jan. 1 and hears back by April 1; the deadline for both groups to notify the University of their decisions is May 1.

Early applicants make up 40 percent of the class of 2015 and reflect a yield of approximately 80 percent. Regular decision applicants had a yield of 63 percent.

— Ellora Israni