The Daily brief: July 27, 2011

July 27, 2011, 8:19 p.m.

Jedibots | The evil scientists at Stanford are at it again with Jedibot, a Kinect-powered robot that weilds a lightsaber and can fend off attacks. Check out the video here.

Inner Scientists | Children develop their knowledge of the world around them by using a rudimentary form of the scientific method, according to a recent Stanford and MIT study. Using a bead and light game, the scientists gave the children relatively little information on how the toy worked and left the children up to their own devices. Despite that lack of information, many of the subjects were able to independently figure out how the game worked, based on trial and error.

Crowded Ballot | Law school lecturer and Menlo Park resident Allen Weiner is one of several candidates hoping to join the school board of the Sequoia Union High School District in Portola Valley. The district includes Woodside High School, Menlo-Atherton High School, Summit Preparatory High School and Everest Charter High School.

Overheard | Administration officials “will take opportunities they find suitable to limit enforcement of a statute they judge to be constitutionally flawed.” — Law professor Jane Schacter on the Defense of Marriage Act in an article from the San Francisco Chronicle.

Follow The Daily | FacebookTwitterdaily email digest