“Throwback” is Full of Jazz and Soul

On Saturday, May 7, Everyday People went back to the basics with their spring show, Throwback in Black. True to its name, the show paid tribute to Everyday People traditions, performing pieces that were arranged and sung by former members of the group.

The show consisted of a fantastic mix of the classics and more modern pieces — but with a twist. The entire group incorporated a jazzy and soulful spin on traditional pieces like Ben E. King’s “Stand By Me” and Alicia Keys’s “It’s a Man’s Man’s World/Fallin’.” In addition to showcasing the group’s harmonious sound, the spring show gave members the opportunity to display their individual talent through solos.

These individual acts included riveting covers of Coldplay’s “The Scientist” and Adele’s “Hometown Glory.” The two-hour long performance ranged from soul to R&B to hip-hop, and it was evident that a lot of time and effort went into the show.

“It took us all year to put this together. The Everyday People spring show showcases a diverse group of people with a diverse group of voices,” said Shawnee Baughman ’12. “This coming together creates a soulful sound that can reach any audience.”

The group’s chemistry comes from the people, who, as stated by the emcees of the show, love what they do.
“Everyday People is full of people with a passion for music and singing,” said Emily Mann ’13. “The spring show lets us share that passion with others.”

Though Everyday People’s spring show represents the culmination of a successful year, the show also was meant to celebrate the soon-to-be graduating seniors in the group. After presenting them with bouquets of flowers, the entire group joined together with Everyday People alumni to perform an upbeat rendition of Sly & the Family Stone’s “Everyday People.”

Throwback in Black was a true glimpse into what Everyday People is all about — passion, creativity and true love of music.