Letter to the Editor

Dear Editor,

I’m writing in response to the op-ed, “A Thumb on the Scale of Justice” that appeared in The Daily on Friday, April 29. As Dean of Student Life, I oversee the Office of Judicial Affairs and helped to develop the Alternate Review Process (ARP). The ARP is a pilot process in which faculty, staff and students review complaints of sexual violence. The training to which Mike Armstrong and Daniel Barton refer prepares these reviewers to hear cases in the ARP. We regularly seek feedback about the content and presentation from the reviewers and incorporate their suggestions into subsequent trainings. We also seek feedback from the students who go through the process in an effort to continually make improvements.

Based on the training materials mentioned in the op-ed, I believe the authors may have old training information. Having said that, we will revisit our training. Ultimately, I want all students in the process, both student complainants and responding students, to feel they have been treated fairly and respectfully. We are committed to doing the right thing and being transparent about the process. To that end, I welcome Mike Armstrong and Daniel Barton to communicate with me directly regarding any future concerns about the process or about the experience of students they may be representing in the process.

Chris Griffith

Associate Vice Provost; Dean of Student Life