Letter to the Editor: Sorority Recruitment

Dear Editor,

In response to the April 14 article “Rushing to Bid Day,” we would like to address some of the claims made by the author regarding participation in the Inter-Sorority Counsel Formal Recruitment and sorority life at Stanford.

Our chapters are some of the most powerful women’s organizations on this campus. The benefits of membership enrich every part of our lives as Stanford students. The author is not someone who went through our process genuinely with the intent to join one of our organizations. We feel that her assessment of the process was thus biased and unrepresentative of the amazing opportunity Greek life can provide.

While Formal Recruitment is more structured than the processes used by other organizations at Stanford, our process works because it exposes prospective new members to the full range of chapters within the Inter-Sorority Council. Many of our new and current chapter members ended up someplace they never imagined they would love as much as they do.

Being in an ISC chapter, Alpha Epsilon Phi, Alpha Phi, Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta, Kappa Alpha Theta, Kappa Kappa Gamma or Pi Beta Phi, means a lot more than getting to wear matching T-shirts or chanting Greek letters to catchy tunes. During Recruitment, we’re only able to show a glimpse of what comes along with membership: a huge cheering section for your sports games or plays, mentors for selecting classes to finding jobs, study partners, dance parties and lifelong friends.

The Inter-Sorority Counsel Executive Board