Los Altos trail impact statistics released

A report compiled for Los Altos Hills officials offers the first official data for a contentious debate about Stanford-funded trail construction along Arastradero road.

According to the survey, conducted by Hexagon Transportation Consultants, after the upgrades about 30 pedestrians per day are expected to cross Arastradero Road near Stirrup Way, roughly double the current number. It adds that constructing a bike lane on Arastradero would likely not increase the number of cyclists per day, which stands at 372. The numbers are less than some residents were expecting, although some have called the survey mere speculation.

The proposal would give Los Altos Hills $1.19 million to repair the “S1” trail and connect with Stanford’s trail system. The project stems from the University’s General Use Permit (GUP), an agreement between Stanford and the Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors that stipulates, among other things, that the University must build or improve local trails in exchange for permission to expand campus construction.

In an interview with the Los Altos Town Crier, Stanford Director of Government and Community Relations Larry Horton said the University wouldn’t object if the Los Altos Hills city council rejects the offer, since merely making the offer puts Stanford in compliance with the GUP.

–Tyler Brown