Students’ pre-assignment applications increase

The pre-assignment process for 2011-12 campus housing attracted more than 700 applicants. In an email to The Daily, Associate Dean of Residential Housing Nate Boswell wrote that his department “wouldn’t be surprised to see the total number [of] themed pre-assignments grow slightly.”

A total of 513 applicants were pre-assigned in the 2010-2011 process. Official numbers for this year will be released at the end of the month.

“The total number of theme houses—Focus Houses, Academic Theme Houses, Ethnic Theme Houses—has fluctuated over the last 10 years but has not increased significantly in recent years,” Boswell said.

In fact, there are fewer themed residences now compared to five years ago. But Boswell remains confident about the newest academic theme dorms—EAST House (Education and Society), Crothers Hall (Global Citizenship), Kimball Hall (the Arts and Performing Arts and Adelfa (Writing). He said these houses as are “all gearing up for their third years in existence.”

Students who pre-assign are usually required to use either their second or third tier housing options; if selected, they do not participate in the draw. Applications include an essay, and for co-ops, participation in a chore at the house.

Themed houses planned various events this year to show students what life in their house is like, including tables in White Plaza, open houses and Co-op Crawl.