Several special fees groups fall short on online petitions

Nine of the 16 Special Fees groups required to petition for at least a 10 percent increase in funding from last year fell short of the 695 signatures required to appear on the ballot in April, according to the web site of the ASSU Elections Commission. The final deadline to gather signatures was today at 4 p.m.

Signatures collected on paper have yet to be tallied, so some groups near the required number of signatures could get over 695 names (which represents 10 percent of all undergraduates). Groups that fell short can still be placed on the ballot, as the Undergraduate Senate has the power to place special fee VSOs on the ballot even if they did not receive enough signatures. The Senate will decide those issues at its regular meeting on Tuesday.

The Elections Commission will confirm the validity of petitions by Tuesday at 4 p.m. The commission will spend the next few days tallying up paper petitions and verifying signatures, ensuring that there are no fraudulent signatures or signatures from those ineligible to vote.

Considering only online petitions, nine groups failed to gather enough signatures: the Stanford Journal of International Relations, Harmonics, the Flipside, STAMP, the Chaparral, the Society for International Affairs, the Stanford Progressive, the Claw Magazine and Stanford Students in Entertainment. The numbers of signatures received by these groups varied widely; some fell just short of the total, while others did not garner even 200 signatures. Notably, the Flipside had only 532 signatures on its online petition at the time of publication–its special fees request has been the subject of much controversy and debate, especially over a request for roughly $7,000 to purchase a Segway.

Six groups did receive authorization to appear on the ballot, with enough signatures online: Club Sports, Alternative Spring Break, KZSU, the Stanford Film Society, the Stanford NAACP and the Stanford American Indian Organization. Most of these groups were well over the limit–however, the Film Society was just over the threshold with 707 signatures, leaving it vulnerable if some of its online signatures are found to be fraudulent.

Of the declared slates for ASSU Executive, only one ticket–Hertz-Coggeshall Family for Excellence–did not receive enough signatures, based on the online count, in order to be placed on the general elections ballot.

Individuals and slates may still declare intent to run for offices in the spring election, but must do so as write-in candidates.

UPDATE: Preliminary results from paper petitions have pushed several groups over the threshold to appear on the ballot. The Flipside, the Chaparral, the Claw magazine, SIAS and Stanford Students in Entertainment will all likely appear on April’s ballot, pending validation. Harmonics, STAMP, the Progressive and the Stanford Journal of International Relations did not tally enough paper signatures.

All three ASSU Executive slates, including the “Hertz-Coggeshall Family for Excellence,” gathered enough signatures to appear on the ballot after including preliminary paper results. Pending validation, the other two slates–Cruz & Macgregor-Dennis and Tenzin-Vasquez–both qualified for public financing.

Kabir Sawhney is currently a desk editor for the News section. He served as the Managing Editor of Sports last volume.