Nurses vote in favor of strike authorization

Nearly 90 percent of unionized nurses who cast ballots yesterday voted in favor of strike authorization against Stanford Hospital and Clinics (SHC) and Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital (LPCH). The Committee for Recognition of Nursing Achievement (CRONA) urged its member nurses to approve strike authorization in response to an ongoing contract dispute with the two hospitals.

“Last December, the nurses rejected a tentative agreement,” CRONA President Lorie John wrote in a press release. “When we asked the hospitals to make what for them would be minor revisions, but which are important and objectionable to the nurses, they refused.”

“We hope that the hospitals will now listen to our concerns so that a strike will not have to be called,” Johnson said. “The ball is in their court.”

In order to obtain strike authorization, CRONA leaders needed at least two-thirds of their approximately 2,700 nurses to vote in favor of the move. Yesterday’s vote saw 77 percent of the membership vote “yes.”

— An Le Nguyen

• john

I have lost all respect for unions and union members. Unions served a useful purpose at one point in our country’s history. Now unions are nothing more than a bunch of greedy thugs whose only goal in life is to rip off the system, whether that be private corporations or government.

• Cardinal

Let them strike. With the economy as it is, how many people are looking for jobs?

• Peego

I don’t trust unionized nurses to have my best interests as a priority if I’m a patient.The Hospital should be lining up replacements already.

• Tally

Crona is not striking over wages but the hospital’s attempt to demote skilled bedside nurses if they fail to publish in a professional journal, give a speech at for a national nursing organization, or volunteer their services for free to non-profit organizations. Their “new” professional development program is modeled not after any other California medical center but after a medical center in Missouri that does not come close to caring for the type of patient that Stanford gets. Why aren’t the poster above calling for Stanford to reduce management, that has become totally bloated over the past 10 years, this is a cost that directly impacts the cost of medical services and does little to improve the patient outcomes. Stanford and other Bay Area hospitals have hundreds of unfilled RN positions. Replacing 2700 nurses will not be so easy as you might think. It is a fact that almost all nurses in California belong to a union, so if you don’t want to be cared for by a union nurse, go to Missouri. Nurses have long be advocates of safe staffing ratios. When you are in the Stanford hospital that is attached to a medical school, the nurses are the first line of defense against a resident that is inexperienced and doesn’t know what he/she is doing. Maybe you should get the facts before you judge the situation, unless of course you are……management…

• john

Tally, you must be one of the union goons. I hope the hospital hangs tough and replaces all the strikers.

If you care about patients, how can you possibly think about striking as a vehicle for resolving your differences? The answer is the union thugs don’t care about the patients.

• Ron

The people who have negative comments about unionized nurses who are wanting to strike need to know all the facts before they blurt out negative comments about them. Those people need to understand without unions, patient care can and will effected such as, 8 patient’s to 1 nurse or poor and unqualified nurses which could create a poor medical outcome experience for patient’s.

• Heather

Dear Negative Commentators,
    We have a national nursing shortage. Nursing isn’t an unskilled job, you can’t just replace people.

Just thought you should know.

• Michael

I’m appalled by the entitlement and arrogance of some of the posts thus far. Unions are not inherently evil institutions. Can you at least take a step back and think about how much you are assuming about the situation? The article is only four short paragraphs , and doesn’t describe the situation, the terms of the disagreement, or any or the specifics. We don’t have enough information either way on whether we as students should support or oppose the strike. In the meantime, can you please consider that the nurses might be striking for a good reason and not assume, without any evidence, that this union is corrupt and out to get you?

• Gee

@ Heather – There may be still be a national nursing shortage, but right now in the Bay Area a lot of nurses have been laid off, new grads can’t find nursing jobs, and open positions at acute hospitals are being filled with Masters-trained nurses.

I think CRONA has done a lot to ensure proper nursing ratios, but I don’t think that a formal professional development program is a bad thing and I’m surprised that nurses who enjoy making Stanford a stand-out institution are fighting so hard against a program that’s designed to improve the state of healthcare at Stanford and beyond.

Some CRONA nurses talk about demotions if they don’t meet the PDP standards. My understanding is that NO ONE will have a penny of their pay cut, yet there will be opportunities for increases if nurses do more development. My friend’s a nurse at Stanford and she’s applying for her Master’s degree and is excited to learn and improve her skills.

• Robert

Interesting…

• john

Gee. To answer your question why the nurse’s union is fighting so hard against a program designed to improve the state of healthcare; the union’s goal is to protect the unmotivated, disgruntled, and least competent employees.

The union goons represent the employees who want to work the least and are just counting down the days until retirement which seems to be about 90% of the nurses.

• Stanford Says No To War

Good. Everyone should go on strike until ROTC is banned from Stanford.