Board of Trustees approve new construction

The Board of Trustees approved proposals for construction of the Jill and John Freidenrich Center for Translational Research, the design of the West Campus Recreation Center and the expansion of Stanford Auxiliary Library III (SAL3) at their Feb. 7-8 meeting.

The Freidenrich Center will house work that turns new discoveries into treatments for patients, especially clinical trials in cancer treatment, and will be the center of the School of Medicine’s work in translational research. These new treatments will be done together with Stanford Hospital & Clinics and Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital.

The new building will be located at the intersection of Welch Road and Durand Way and is slated to open Aug. 2012.

The West Campus Recreation Center cleared the second phase of the approval process with the Board’s design approval. The center will be similar in design and size to the Arrillaga Center for Sports and Recreation, measuring 75,000 square feet and costing $35.5 million.

The design includes basketball courts, lockers, showers and fitness, wellness and recreation spaces. It will also include a 50-meter swimming pool to replace the Roble Gym pool. Following project approval from the Board in April and construction approval in June, construction is planned to begin this summer and conclude in September 2012.

SAL3, a climate-controlled storage facility located in Livermore, will double its storage capacity from 3 million volumes to 6 million volumes under this new plan. The project will cost $14.8 million. SAL3 stores library materials for the University library system and serves both the main campus and Hopkins Marine Station Library.

Construction is expected to begin in fall 2011 and finish in the fall of 2012, pending the project’s design approval in April and its combined project and construction approval in June.

— Ivy Nguyen