CRONA decries new hospital contract changes

Committee for Recognition of Nursing Achievement (CRONA), which represents 2,700 nurses at Stanford Hospital and Clinics and Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital, released a press release Tuesday condemning a decision by the hospitals to impose a new employment contract on the nurses.

“Stanford and Lucile Packard Hospitals have decided to put corporate needs and greed ahead of the welfare of their nurses, doctors and patients by imposing these new working conditions,” Lorie Johnson, president of CRONA, wrote in the press release. “We believe the imposition of these provisions is a declaration of war on nurses and could put patient care at risk at both hospitals.”

This development continues a yearlong contract dispute between CRONA and the hospitals, in which both sides were unable to agree on a new contract to replace the one that expired last March. The debate extended through late summer, when the two sides reached a deadlock that required the involvement of a federal mediator.

Though the nurses voted on a tentative agreement in December, the majority of nurses rejected the agreement, prompting CRONA to inform the hospitals that it would recommend a new tentative agreement if the proposal were changed. In response, the hospitals declared an “impasse” and implemented this current contract.

CRONA will be meeting with its member nurses this week to outline its next steps, the press release said.

Ivy Nguyen

• john

“a declaration or war on nurses”? How do inflammatory, nonsensical words help your cause, Lorie Johnson. Unions use to serve a vital purpose in our country’s history. They now are destroying America from within. There is no boundary to the greed of union thugs.

• Mike

John — You should examine the terms of the proposals and history of this negotiation (or lack thereof) before making such an uninformed statement regarding this issue. The Stanford Hospital administration has basically told nearly all of their most experienced– nurses that they no longer qualify for their positions/levels unless they do extreme amounts of additional work — such as doing research or getting additional degrees — all on their own time and for no additional pay. For these nurses, such requirements would either take time away from their patient care or families, without making them better nurses with respect to the care or their patients, BTW, Nurses who want to do research can seek appropriate research-oriented positions. Why force everyone to do that to keep the job and level that they have already achieved? From the beginning, Stanford has refused to negotiate at all, which completely undermines the basis for healthy and productive management-worker relationships. I’m not a fan of most unions, but CRONA is one of the most enlightened and intelligent ones I’ve seen. It is certainly not greedy. I hope the Stanford administration will open its eyes to the damage that it is doing to its most-experiences and valuable employees. Unless, of course,their actions are intentional. And if they are intended, what would you, John, call this assault on these nurses’ livelihoods?

• john

An employer should have the right to set the requirements for positions he is hiring. If an employer wants to raise the standards for his employees, he should have the right to do that. All nurses are free to quit and find another job if they don’t like their job.