The Stanford Savoyards present ‘Princess Ida’

Calling all Gilbert and Sullivan fans! The Stanford Savoyards is ready to kick off the new quarter with their production of the comedic opera, “Princess Ida,” based on Lord Alfred Tennyson’s acclaimed narrative poem “The Princess.”

One of the lesser-known of the celebrated partners’ collaborative works, “Princess Ida” first premiered in January 1884 at the Savoy Theater in London. It tells the story of a 21-year-old girl who is determined to escape her arranged marriage and instead run a school for women.

As part of a political maneuver, Ida (played by Alicia Triana ’13) was married to Prince Hilarion, son of King Hildebrand, at the young age of one. On her 21st birthday, Ida’s father, King Gama, was to bring her to Hildebrand’s palace so that the couple could live together as husband and wife. However, given her devotion to the education of women, and her desire to assert the rights of her sex, Ida is not present on the day in question. Living in one of Gama’s homes somewhere in the countryside, Ida has started a woman’s university called “Castle Adamant.”

Furious at the violation of the contract between the two kingdoms, King Hildebrand takes King Gama and his men prisoner and threatens to kill them should Ida be unwilling to return from the school after Prince Hilarion has arrived to fetch her.

This lively musical is a satire of feminism, women’s education and Darwinian evolution, and given its innocent, easily understood plot, is sure to be enjoyed by audiences of all ages.

Incorporating a number of ridiculous characters – from a woman obsessed with the “mighty Must” who dreams of being able to expound on her theories on the intricacies of the English language to her students daily to a trio of somewhat dimwitted soldiers, “Princess Ida” will keep its audiences laughing throughout the show.

The Stanford Savoyards is a student-run theater company that has been organizing operas since its inception in 1973. Each year, the company produces two Gilbert and Sullivan musicals for the Stanford community and the surrounding area. Not limited to Stanford affiliates, their shows attract a wide assortment of members, from students, faculty and staff to Palo Alto residents to those studying at other universities in the region. As a part of the cast, members have the opportunity to explore the many aspects of theater production, from helping construct and decorate sets to even working on some of the costumes.

“They’re very self-reliant, so it was very new for me to not only be a part of the performance, but also part of the set building,” Triana said. “It was definitely cool to get in touch with all the different parts of the theater.”

This winter production, comprised of a talented group of performers, musicians and crew members, is to be followed by “Iolanthe” in the spring of this year.

“We have people of all levels of experience, so if you know absolutely nothing about theater, it’s a great way to learn,” said director Greg Anderson. Audition and production staff information for “Iolanthe” will be made available in the coming weeks.

“Princess Ida” is playing in Dinkelspiel Auditorium on Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m., with a matinee performance on Sunday at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $16 general admission, $12 for Stanford staff and seniors and $8 for students.