Ed Macaulay, ‘voice of Stanford Stadium,’ dies at 91

Ed Macaulay, a longtime public-address announcer for Stanford athletics, died Friday at his home in San Mateo following a stroke at the age of 91.

Macaulay’s career spanned from 1952 to 1990, when Stanford administrators replaced him before the 1991 season. After fans protested the decision with a letter-writing campaign asking to have him reinstated, he returned for one final season in 1992. In his 40 seasons at the job, Macaulay missed only one game during a bout with laryngitis.

From his perch in the press box, Macaulay presided over Stanford’s change in mascot from the Indians to the Cardinal. Highlights from his career include announcing the Cardinal’s upset against No. 1-ranked Washington in 1942 as well as years of alternately winning and losing the Axe at the annual Big Game.

In addition to announcing football games, Macaulay was also a presence at several historic sporting events at Stanford, including the U.S. Olympic Track and Field trials in 1960 and the U.S.-vs.-U.S.S.R. track meet in 1963, at the height of Cold War tensions between the two countries.

Following his retirement, Macaulay worked to establish the Stanford University Athletics Hall of Fame, where he regularly served as docent.

A memorial service is planned for March 27 at Valley Presbyterian Church.