Christen Press wins Hermann Trophy

Stanford senior forward Christen Press wrapped up a season of accolades by winning the Hermann Trophy on Friday. The trophy is annually awarded to the best player in collegiate women’s soccer, and is widely recognized as the sport’s most prestigious honor.

Press captained the Stanford women’s soccer team deep into this season’s NCAA Tournament. After going undefeated through the regular season, the Cardinal made it all the way to the final of the College Cup, only to fall to Notre Dame, 1-0.

Press had a remarkable senior season, breaking the career records for Stanford’s program in goals (71), assists (41) and points (183). She led the nation in goals this season with 26 and in points with 60, and tied Kelley O’Hara for Stanford’s single-season goals record.

O’Hara won the Hermann Trophy last season, making Stanford only the second school (along with North Carolina) to have different individuals win the trophy in consecutive years.

The Hermann Trophy is the last in a string of Press’ postseason accolades. She was also named Pac-10 player of the year and earned first-team All-America honors. A communications major, Press was also a first-team academic All-American and earned the Pac-10’s scholar-athlete of the year award for women’s soccer.

Kabir Sawhney is currently a desk editor for the News section. He served as the Managing Editor of Sports last volume.