Fallen tree damages three rooms in FroSoCo [Updated]

Dec. 21, 2010, 3:47 p.m.

(Courtesy of Nadeem Hussain)

Update, Dec. 22, 4 p.m. | The tree’s fall broke windows in three student rooms and the stairwell area, damaged the building’s stucco exterior, and damaged a portion of the roof, rain gutter and down spout, according to Imogen Hinds, senior associate director of Housing.

“While it is possible that all repair work to Schiff House may be complete before the students return and the residence reopens, any students who cannot get back into their rooms immediately will be housed temporarily in guest rooms on campus,” Hinds said in an e-mail to The Daily. “If this does occur, it will be for no more than a few days, and probably only for the residents of one room.”

Hinds added that Housing is working with contractors to repair the rooms and remove the tree from the courtyard.

Dec. 21, 3:47 p.m. | A large tree near Freshman-Sophomore College, the undergraduate dorm on Santa Teresa Street, fell early Sunday morning during a storm that brought wind gusts of more than 40 mph. The tree damaged three rooms in Schiff, the building that houses half of FroSoCo’s 180 residents, according to college directors Bryan and Cheryl Brown. No one was injured; students moved out of dorms for winter break on Dec. 11.

Mr. Brown and Nadeem Hussain, dean of FroSoCo, provided photos to The Daily.

Last October, falling trees damaged 12 cars on campus in three separate incidents. There are more than 27,000 trees on central campus, according to the Stanford website devoted to the University’s trees.

— Ellen Huet, the Daily news staff