Review: Zac Brown Band’s ‘You Get What You Give’

Review: Zac Brown Band's 'You Get What You Give'
(Courtesy of Zac Brown Band)

Review: Zac Brown Band's 'You Get What You Give'Full disclosure: I am a metalhead. My favorite bands are Metallica, Guns N’ Roses and Megadeth. Why, then, am I writing about, or even listening to, Zac Brown Band? The answer is twofold: first, I have a girlfriend. Second, this album is actually really good.

“You Get What You Give,” the latest endeavor from Zac Brown Band, is its most ambitious album yet. Only months after the band’s 2010 Grammy Award for Best New Artist, this album’s release marks a satisfying and well-deserved foray into the realm of popular music, though the band has certainly not left behind the spirit of the country music that made it famous. Nothing demonstrates this duality better than a simple glance at the names of the album’s two guest vocalists; one is Jimmy Buffet and the other is Alan Jackson.

“Let It Go” kicks the album off with a drum beat, a guitar riff and a question: is every song on this album written by Jimmy Buffett? The simple answer is no, actually, none of them are, but the carefree lyrics, slow trot of a drum beat and island-sounding organ certainly seem to suggest that this one was taken right out of the Buffett songbook. The interjection of a fiddle solo all but ruins this sentiment, but even then, the very worst that can be said is that this is a very pleasant and relaxing country song.

In a rather ironic twist, the song in which Jimmy Buffett himself is featured, “Knee Deep,” sounds less Buffett than even the preceding track, and more country than other songs on the album. Again continuing the theme of living without cares (either a motivating relief from the recent financial downturn or the cause of it, I can’t tell), this is actually one of the weaker selections from the record.

Following hot on the heels of “Cold Weather,” a song with a pleasant, galloping drum beat and a plethora of tasty vocal harmonies, “Whiskey’s Gone” is a rowdy barnyard romp that is capable of entertaining anyone, if only allowed the chance. With a stomp-clap friendly drum beat and a bass line that has trouble standing still, the addition of a talkative organ and a pluckin’ good guitar part adds tremendously to the excitement of this fun-filled jam.

Other standouts include “Who Knows,” a partially-syncopated 10-minute jam with an intro and conclusion that are very rock, and “Martin,” a beautiful ballad that is very country and very beautiful.

Finally, my favorite two songs from this album are the final track, “Make This Day,” and the album’s first single, “As She’s Walking Away,” which features guest vocals by Alan Jackson. “Make This Day” is another extremely fun song, a fusion of blues and big band elements that tickles the ear and arouses the sudden urge to break into dance. “As She’s Walking Away” is a song that, not surprisingly, screams country, from the reverberated twang of the electric guitar to the hackneyed but well-constructed lyrics about love and loss. Country fans will immediately understand why this song gets radio play.

Overall, this is an extremely well-written and well-balanced album, and, despite my heavy rock and roll background, I must say I really enjoyed listening to almost every song (the reggae feel of “Settle Me Down” just didn’t float my boat, and “Keep Me In Mind” starts off with a warning: “It’s gonna get funky”). I won’t be surprised if this album does very well on the pop as well as the country charts – some tracks have the potential to be crossover hits.

My recommendation: Go buy it. If you’re a country fan, you will not be sorry, and if you aren’t, you may just surprise yourself with this one. 8/10