Cantor names new curator

Sept. 30, 2010, 2:00 a.m.

The Cantor Arts Center announced the appointment of Elizabeth Kathleen Mitchell as the new Burton and Deedee McMurtry Curator of Drawings, Prints and Photographs. Mitchell will begin her duties, which include overseeing almost 7,000 artworks from the 15th to the 20th century, in November.

Mitchell was formerly an assistant curator in the department of Prints, Drawings and Photographs at the Museum of Fine Arts Boston, where her primary duty was to coordinate the works on paper that are now integrated into the galleries in the new Wing of the Art of the Americas. Additionally, from 2008 to 2010, she taught a course on modern Mexican art at the Massachusetts College of Art as an adjunct lecturer.

Mitchell earned her Ph.D. from UC-Santa Barbara in 2006. Before beginning her graduate studies, she was the 1997–1999 Lynn and Philip A. Straus Curatorial Intern in the Fogg Art Museum’s Print Department at Harvard University.

Mitchell joins four other curators at the Cantor Arts Center, each with expertise in a respective area. Aside from drawings, prints and photographs, the collections include: European art, arts of Africa and the Americas, modern and contemporary art and Asian art. In total, the Center houses over 30,000 objects spanning 5,000 years, from ancient Egypt to the modern day.