The Daily brief: Sept. 1, 2010 [Updated]

By and

The Olmsted Homes project in May 2010. (File/The Stanford Daily)

No place like it | Houses Stanford is building for athletics staff on El Camino Real and Olmsted Road are almost ready for move-in, the University says. It will rent the three-bed, two-bath houses mostly to coaches, for whom it hopes to ease the affordable housing search. Alum John Arrillaga is the project manager. All of the homes, which are 1,550 to 1,880 square feet, are set to be done by Christmas.

Tennis | Stanford’s Bradley Klahn, NCAA champion this year, fell in four sets to Sam Querrey in the first round of the US Open on Wednesday.

Video | Sociology professor Michael Rosenfeld discusses his research on the academic performance of the children of gay couples.

Team players | Stanford Hospital & Clinics has partnered with the San Francisco 49ers to study sports injuries.

ASSU | In an e-mail Wednesday evening, Undergraduate Senate Chair Michael Cruz ’12 called an online, “unofficial” meeting of the Senate for Thursday at 6 p.m. On the agenda are the group’s fall retreat, its Senate associates program and committee updates. The group’s policy on online meetings, per its bylaws: “All rules that apply to actual meetings should apply to online meetings, such as giving 72 hours public notice and providing previous notice for all bills.” We pointed that out to Cruz and Deputy Chair Madeline Hawes ’13 and await a reply about whether or not they will go ahead with the meeting tomorrow. Update: After The Daily contacted Cruz, he announced later Wednesday the meeting is now set for Sept. 6 at 7 p.m. He wrote to the Senate: “Seems like a lot of people are back at Stanford already for SoCo [Sophomore College]. We’ll move the unofficial meet-up to September 6, 2010 at 7 PM so everybody can make it.”

Overheard | “I don’t get nervous like that, but she made me nervous. I’m going to enter school undecided about my major and she told me she entered school undecided on a major and she ended up in the Senate. I was able to calm down after a few minutes, but it was a long conversation.” — Anthony Sarao, Stanford football recruit from New Jersey, on his meeting with political science professor Condoleezza Rice.

Follow The Daily | Facebook, Twitter, daily e-mail digest.