The Daily brief: July 27, 2010

July 27, 2010, 10:06 p.m.

More Bank of the West | Expect spottings of Sharapova and co. around Arrillaga these days: the Bank of the West Classic is on campus this week, bringing tennis spectaculars to Taube Center. A general look at the tournament, and recent updates on the competition.

Ethics Tangle | Stanford alumna and Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.) of nearby 16th district (San Jose), as head of House Ethics Committee, faces a tough challenge in presiding over the Rangel talks.

Speak Now | … Or forever hold your peace. Public comment on the Stanford Hospital expansion project closed on Monday.

Stimulus Debate | Economics professor Robert Hall points out that government spending’s perceived increase may be misplaced, due to the retraction of state and local government budgets. A quick analysis of his point in a New York Times economics blog.

Full Football | The Cardinal starts training camp with a roster brimming with 105 athletes.

Follow The Daily | Twitter, Facebook, daily e-mail digest. Note: it’s maintenance time for our e-mail digest. We’ll post an announcement when it’s back in action. Meanwhile, our RSS feed may be helpful: http://bit.ly/DailyRSS. Thanks for your patience.

Ellen Huet is currently a senior staff writer at The Daily; she joined the staff in fall 2008 and served one volume as managing news editor in fall and early winter of 2010-2011. Reach her at ehuet at stanford dot edu. Fan mail and sternly worded complaints are equally welcome.