The Daily brief: June 15, 2010 [Updated]

June 15, 2010, 5:00 p.m.

Cardinal Care expands to yearlong coverage | In an e-mail sent out to students today, Vaden Health Center summarized changes to Cardinal Care, including an option for dependent health care, mandatory Cardinal Care for international students (with possible opt-out after proving adequate coverage), a 4% decrease in annual cost and yearlong coverage for those in Cardinal Care. “Enrollment in Cardinal Care will now be a once-a-year event,” wrote Vaden Director Ira Friedman in the e-mail. “In your first registered quarter of each academic year, you will decide whether or not to waive Cardinal Care coverage for that year.” Previously, students could waive coverage for specific quarters. The Vaden website has more information on changes to the 2010-2011 school year.

A Visionary Effort | Neurobiology professor William Newsome is the winner of this year’s Champalimaud Vision Award — which carries with it a $1.3 million prize. The award honors Newsome’s research into the brain activity and circuitry behind human vision, and is given every odd-numbered year. He shares the award with Anthony Movshon of NYU.

Rice on Target | On Monday, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton released the State Department’s 10th annual Trafficking in Human Persons report, which, for the first time, included reports on human trafficking in the United States. In her commencement speech on Sunday, UN Ambassador Susan Rice ’86 called on graduates to close the gap in the United States by stopping, among other things, human trafficking, both at home and abroad.

Korean rapper hounded about Stanford credentials | Korean rapper Tablo, who has been facing rumors from fans that he fabricated his Stanford education, had his credentials confirmed by University Registrar Thomas Black last week for the JoongAng Daily. Daniel Seon Woong Lee earned both a bachelor’s degree and master’s degree in English, in 2001 and 2002, respectively. Black was furious that the public acknowledgement of Lee’s degrees didn’t completely quell rumors, telling the JoongAng Daily that “[Lee] should be able to prosecute these people and put them in jail and get damages.” (Correction: We misspelled Lee’s name in the original report; it is now corrected.)

Follow The Daily | TwitterFacebookdaily e-mail digest.

Ellen Huet is currently a senior staff writer at The Daily; she joined the staff in fall 2008 and served one volume as managing news editor in fall and early winter of 2010-2011. Reach her at ehuet at stanford dot edu. Fan mail and sternly worded complaints are equally welcome.