Daily staffers win scholarships

June 3, 2010, 1:00 a.m.

Daily staff members were acknowledged with scholarship awards last Sunday by the alumni organization Friends of The Stanford Daily. The recipients ranged from senior staff writers to desk editors to managing editors.

Through an agreement with the San Jose Mercury News, the Friends annually provide internships with the San Jose Mercury News. The news reporting internship went to Senior Managing Editor Eric Messinger ’10 and the news photography internship went to Photography Managing Editor Masaru Oka ’10.

The Harry Press Award, a $6,000 award given to a Daily staffer in junior class standing with a demonstrated financial need and an intention to enter the professional journalism field went to News Managing Editor Elizabeth Titus ’11.

The George Caulfield Award went to Ryan Mac ’11, a senior staff writer. It is a $2,000 award that recognizes sophomores and juniors for outstanding work at The Daily.

The Julius Jacobs Award, a $1,000 award given to student new to The Daily who shows exceptional promise in the journalism field, went to Kathleen Chaykowski ’13, a features desk editor and also a copy editor.

For excellence in opinions writings, the $1,000 William F. Woo Award, open to the entire Stanford community, went to Aysha Bagchi ’11, a weekly Daily columnist.

Scholarships to Stanford Daily writers and editors have been awarded annually since 1999, with awards named after former Daily writers and other successful journalists associated with Stanford.