No-Rain Campaign Executive Slate: Katherine Heflin and Daniel Leifer

Opinion by Guest Column

No-Rain Campaign Executive Slate: Katherine Heflin and Daniel LeiferWhy support the No-Rain Campaign? We give you 6 tangible reasons:

Our textbook proposal could save you hundreds of dollars. Currently, professors give the Stanford Bookstore their textbook selections weeks before the start of the quarter. We want to expand this, and have them also submit the ISBNs of their textbook selections to an ASSU-operated website. That way students who want cheaper books can order their textbooks online ahead of time and avoid the hassle of the bookstore. You could save hundreds of dollars a quarter.

We have the most leadership experience and knowledge of Stanford. Katherine ’11 is an RA and co-captain of a varsity sport. Dan ’10 is an Eagle Scout, and he drafted one of Hillary Clinton’s speeches while working at the State Department.

We aren’t spending money on our campaign. That’s right, no annoying flyers or t-shirts. This election should be about the issues and not about who blows through the most money getting out their name. ASSU elections need reform, and we feel that our own campaign is the best place to start.

We address real issues. We don’t pretend that the Executive office can change everything, so we focus on realistic issues within our reach. Our campaign website (http://tinyurl.com/norain4exec) features a detailed platform and a few of our video documentaries laying out our stances and our ideas. Take a look for yourself!

We’ll try to give students more say over their student fees. We want people to be able to decide more accurately the amount that groups receive, as opposed to simply whether or not the group should receive any. In most circumstances, we propose that voters should choose between the group’s proposed budget, the Senate’s recommended budget, or rejecting funding entirely. If students feel that a group’s budget is excessive, they can approve a reduced (Senate’s recommended) budget<p>–<\p>without shutting down or debilitating the group. We believe students, senators, and groups would all benefit from our proposed system.

We will bring more students into ASSU projects. We think the way to change campus is by bringing in as many students as possible and allowing them more say in what needs to be changed. We want to set up student “action groups” where teams of around three students work on projects that they care about. If you want to make the dining hall more sustainable, we would help you find other students for your action group. Once formed, we would coordinate with you and work to set up meetings with administrators.

If you like what we’re doing, please join our Facebook page (search “No Rain Campaign”) and spread the word by showing this article to your friends. We can use your help. Join us, and let’s make a better ASSU!

Contact Katherine Heflin and Daniel Leifer at [email protected].