Sense and Nonsense: “Reflection During Finals”

Opinion by Aysha Bagchi

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=b0d03bf481&view=att&th=1304967426750eff&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_godr386i0&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P95aUFSuzTNeUF-whfWgO12&sadet=1333924579432&sads=JlDAjnHO4KtXsMGYJuqLC2f1jzMI generally enjoy being a student, but finals time is a consistent exception. The last week or so of the quarter means a lot of pressure, not nearly enough time, at least one moment of panic, inevitable disappointments and dorms and dining halls filled with students in a generally depressed state – which is depressing. Until finals are over, students are submerged in a torrent of mounting to-dos that leave little time to think.

It is a big shame that the last couple weeks of the quarter are not conducive to reflection. It would be nice if our educational structure encouraged us to make sense of what we have learned, to step back and think in the open air. Synthesizing a quarter’s worth of material in a way that gives us a holistic understanding requires some breathing room, and the intense structure of Finals Week depletes our oxygen supply.

Unfortunately, students do not have much power to change this. The experience may partly be the consequence of all of our professors trying to assert their classes as the most important in our schedule by demanding more from us than could reasonably be multiplied by four or five classes. We are left with a series of courses that all hope to dominate our schedules, which becomes especially tough during finals. Add to that the responsibilities students carry outside of schoolwork, as well as our social activities, and we find expectations that are often unrealistic and encourage some to flounder.

So what are we students to do? In this case, even the best is bad. There isn’t much of a remedy in our hands, but I can think of one useful suggestion: dedicate at least a little time each day over the next couple weeks to forgetting about all the material you are supposed to cram into your head. Take some time to relax, reflect and remember that a lot of things are important in your life and your grades are just one of them. Insert some breathing room into the end of your quarter!

What this breathing room will look like depends on the student, but for everyone it begs for some outlet, some protected space of comfort and calm. Take a walk around Lake Lag (there is still water in it, and probably not for long!). Listen to music. Read part of a favorite book. Play the piano in your lounge. Meet up with friends for some finals-free downtime. Go on a date. Write poetry. Meditate, pray or savor some sweet silent thought. Write in your diary. Read a Daily column (that’s one down!). Remove yourself from schoolwork for a little while and remember the many other important things in your life that deserve attention even during times of overload.

One of the things I love about writing a column is that it forces me to reflect on my life as a student each week. This is not always an easy task, especially during hectic times, and I probably would not do it as often if I did not have a deadline to force me. Student life is scheduled, our days are full and most of us are running behind. But nonetheless, breathing space has a rightful claim in our lives!

Now, I am not kidding myself into thinking students can just head to the woods when an o-chem final or a 20-page research paper is around the corner. It is reasonable that schoolwork takes some priority, and our less reflection-filled social lives are also important. But reflection should be up there as something we need regularly – especially during our toughest weeks. Sometimes removal and reflection is the way to subvert a real crisis, like deciding to forget your schoolwork altogether or getting seriously depressed when a final does not go as planned. Some calm downtime will make finals less painful and the risks attending them less serious.

So break past the surface of your submerged life and take a few moments each day over the next two weeks to put things in a little perspective! I can see it now – thousands of Stanford students lying on the lawns of the Oval, pondering beside Rodin’s Thinker at Cantor, jamming at the CoHo all day…But wait a second! Before you close all your books and head for the beach, don’t get carried away: remember you do actually have finals to study for!

Want to take a break? Send Aysha a comment at [email protected].